Saturday, August 2, 2014

Open House Report Card

I had to catch up with all the beautiful new listings in West Gilroy today and, instead of previewing in the cool early morning hrs, I decided to go to some open houses this afternoon to touch base with fellow agents.

None of the open houses were really busy. The 100 degree F may have prevented many house hunters to leave their home today. What a pity! On a slow traffic day like this, agents have a lot of time to explain and inform and devote their attention to you and only you and not three more parties going through the property at the same time.

The first agent was an elderly lady who immediately let me feel like a visitor she had waited for. Just like I usually do, she greeted me with a glass of ice tea for immediate refreshment from the heat outside. While we walked through the house, she managed to wrap comments like " there are termites but no inspection" into the  owner background of the house. She did disclose all the icky things and missing inspections but so skillful that I did not lose interest in the house. She had enough flyers and we exchanged business cards. I found a marvelous and charming real estate pro from whom I learned a lot today.

In another house I noticed the agent texting on a phone while I walked in the house. She only had one print out of the MLS and no flyer available for incoming visitors. My attempt to get information about the property got shut down with the answer, " check the MLS."  I offered my interpreter service to a young Hispanic couple who waited in vain for the snooty agent to put down her cellphone to take care of business.I ended up showing them the home offering my contacts and service.

After the five different styles of holding open houses which I had encountered today, I gave myself an honest self-evaluation about the service I offer when hosting an open house.

 I speak six languages of which I am fluent in English, Spanish and German. This is a tremendous help to connect with visitors. I give every visitor the attention they need in order to feel welcome and special. I let them know how appreciated their effort is to come to my open house.

All my visitors are greeted with refreshments and homemade cake. On a hot day like today this is the perfect "icebreaker" to get into a conversation. Sometimes I have a raffle and sometimes I have gifts depending on the circumstances.

I noticed today that unlike myself, nobody had music playing in the background. I usually have a variety of music choices available - from Girl from Ipanema to Mozart's Magic Flute, I put effort into finding the tune that matches the home and the season.

I prepare for an open house, go through all disclosures and do a visual inspection. This way, I can answer most of the questions. If I can't answer a question, I admit this and promise to find the answer for them and call them later on (good time to ask for contacts).

None of the open house signs I saw today would satisfy my standards. They were tiny and plain Jane without the agent's pictures, some did not even have a contact name or number on it . I consider my open house signs a marketing tool. Not only am I posting twice as many as I saw today to guide visitors to my open house, I also have my own personalized signs with picture and contacts.

I am a life-long learning agent, nobody is perfect at any time, but I can say today that my open houses are of high quality, unique, and an attractive event for house hunters and a successful marketing tool for the sellers or listing agents. My brokerage, Keller Williams Silicon Valley, trained me well, thank you!

Come over and find out yourself at my next open house. Feedback is always very appreciated. Just follow the signs!


No comments:

Post a Comment