Thursday, September 18, 2014

Discover the Violin in Gilroy

My 7-year-old granddaughter started in a new Elementary school this week in Gilroy, at Antonio del Buono - go Wolves!

The many extra curricular opportunities is one reason why we love this school. I strongly support to give all children as many opportunities to try out new things as possible and learning an instrument is such a precious chance to discover a maybe lifelong love for music.

Today was the information meeting for the violin program. The program is free and the school lends the instruments to the kids. What more can you ask for?

 The instructor with the German name, Lori Franke (have to further investigate whether she or her husband or both have German roots - inquiring German minds want to know LOL) is an excellent musician and educator and  has lots of accomplishments to show on her bio. She founded a renowned private violin school, The South Valley Suzuki String Academy - things to do in Gilroy which I did not even know exist.

Of course I allowed Adriana to enroll. I hope that music will become a treasured part of her life just as it had become in my one when I started to learn guitar and flute as a second grader. My sister played a melodica, my father harmonica and my grandmother sang all day long. Most people in my German hometown in the Bavarian Alps love music and play an instrument. Famous violin builders come from there. One of my cousins is a violin builder.

I look forward to be involved in that program and listen to Addy practicing even if it squeeks the fillings out of my teeth in the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment